Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Can an introvert become more outgoing through YouTube?

That will be the experiment I am conducting on myself from here on out.

A bit of background: I grew up in a family who, compared to others I've encountered, are pretty reserved. They didn't really talk about their feelings that often and really didn't have many discussions amongst each other anyway. My senior year of high school I won the female half of "Quietest" which I didn't necessarily agree with because within my group of friends I thought I was a bit more outgoing than not. Perhaps that was just my thinking.

I grew up in the Mormon church and attended until I was about 15 or so. I have not been back since. However, I believe that a lot of what I was taught has stuck with me (more or less). Modesty, decent language, not drinking, kindness, morals etc... Over the years, as I look back, I can see that I've let myself get on the darker side of these things. I know I act differently in public than I do at home (is that pretty common?). Not extremely different, but I'm a little rough around the edges sometimes at home.

Anyway.

Some of my personal struggles are eloquence, articulation, and coherence when it comes to speaking. My goal with my new YouTube journey is to try and improve these skills. I have heard from others that since they're just talking to a camera they're totally OK, but when it comes to talking to people it becomes a different story. I fear that that may happen to me anyway. But of course if I don't think about that, perhaps I can overcome even that hurdle. I guess we'll see.

I'm better at expressing my thoughts through writing, as I'm sure many others can agree. Writing allows time for your brain to process things and express your thoughts pretty near exactly how you want to express them. As with speaking, as soon as you say the words it's too late to do any revising. That's what makes it a tougher thing to be good at. A lot of people are great at it! And I'm glad I'm not alone as an introvert. I know there are many others who struggle with the same things I do and I hope we can help each other to grow ( if that's what you want of course).

I have already made my first video. You can view it here. It's weird for me to be seeing myself and hearing myself talk. I'm definitely not used to that yet. I wasn't talking too loud for fear of being heard. Haha. That's another thing I'd like to get better at is not caring what people think and practicing talking a little louder in public.                  

I guess that pretty much sums it up for now. I'm starting this new adventure in hopes of becoming a stronger, more dynamic and fearless person. I hope that you all will accompany me in this journey and have lots of fun along the way! =)  Thanks for reading!

Emily
emelitsuki


A picture from my visit to the park where I shot my first video!








No comments:

Post a Comment